Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Latest Canning Project


17 quarts of dill pickles!! They were fairly easy to do--I had fun with my first attempt with them. Of course, after they are canned, they have to "pickle" for at least 3 weeks before they're good to eat, so...we'll see. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch. (I am a little nervous--you're supposed to put a red serrano pepper in for a little pizazz, but I got the only kind of red pepper I could find (fresno pepper), so I hope they don't have TOO much pizazz.)

I know people keep saying, "Wow, you're doing a lot of canning." Well, there are a few explanations for that--
1- How can I resist free stuff? My mom has been saving canning jars for years, my grandpa didn't want the brand new lids and rings that my late grandma had cases of, and people just have a lot of surplus--7 gallons of cucumbers, 4 gallons of apricots, and I think there are still apples and grapes on the way.
2- Tis the season!! I would probably spread my projects out a bit more throughout the year, because this summer has been hectic, but when they're ripe and ready, they're ripe and ready. Plus, I caught the raspberries and strawberries and blueberries on sale--they'll be quadruple the price in a few months (a vast difference between Idaho and Florida.)
3- I'm obsessed with food storage
4- Home canned stuff just tastes better

3 comments:

Elise said...

Boy, when you post, you post!! I love it :) Marissa looks so cute for her first day of school. You are such a good example to us all, with the whole food storage thing, it makes me want to be better, and work a little harder at mine. Thanks for lunch today, it was fun!

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you Kyla! You're inspiring me to do better. barb

Jenni said...

Kyla, I don't know if you remember me. We grew up in the Acequia Ward together. I found your blog and just wanted to say hello. The pickles look wonderful. I need to be better about food storage myself. I loved seeing your little family and it's so great that you guys are back.

I hope you don't mind me checking in on your blog to see what you are up to. Your welcome to look at my blog, jennipeacock.blogspot.com.