Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fire Safety






Marissa got to go on her first fieldtrip at school and I got to go along (I was actually signed up for the other field trip in the spring, but Marissa's teacher couldn't find anyone else to chaperone, so I guess I get to do both.) We went to our local fire station and learned about fire safety. She got to climb on the fire engine, and see how everything worked. It was a fun day together. Marissa was really excited about what she learned, so we had her teach Family Home Evening. She was super enthusiastic until she started thinking deeply about some things. One thing that they teach is that kids should go outside to the "family meeting place" and stay there,even if their parents don't come out till later, or not at all. Marissa's lower lip started quivering and she said something like--I'll be obedient and go to the meeting spot, even if you die in the fire. Who will get me at the meeting spot if you die? How long will I be there alone? Will I ever get to see grandma or grandpa, or my aunts and uncles and cousins again if you die? How will our relatives know about the fire, and know where we are?

Later, we practiced getting out of our house and the kids wanted to practice opening their windows. Well, they aren't strong enough to open them, we learned. Marissa's lower lip again quivered and she started to cry again. "If there is a fire by my room and the only way out is through the window, I'll die because I can't get out."

The only way she was pacified both times was with the gospel. What would we do without it? We reassured Marissa that #1-our neighbors would take care of her till family was there, and that 2 of our neighbors even know our family and where they live, and our family would take care of her and love her the rest of her life. #2 We are sealed forever as a family in the temple, and if something ever happens to one of us, we'll be together again. #3-we told her some stories--Daniel in the lions den and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace. We reassured her that the Lord protects the righteous, and just like these men, she would be protected. I made a solemn promise to her that the Lord would give her the strength to open the window, send an angel to be with her till help came, or that she would not be burned by the fire. I said, if you get stuck, you PRAY, and you WILL be protected. #4-There are guardian angels who watch over and protect us every day. Marissa is named after my grandma, who promised me right before she died that she would take care of my babies in heaven and send them to me, and that she would be with me and my family and watch over us. I have had priesthood blessings confirming her presence with me in trials and confirming that she safeguards our home. I have truly felt that, too. I promised her that her great grandma would help her and not leave her alone.

By the time we got done, I was bawling too. It turned into a special testimony building experience. I really do know these things are true. It is such an honor and priveledge to be part of Christ's church and have Him guide and protect us in our lives. He is constantly extending us tender mercies. The knowledge of the gospel brings me and my family peace and joy.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I love how you were able to incorporate gospel principles into a FHE about fire safety. You have always had a wonderful testimony of the gospel and it looks like your kids will greatly benefit from it throughout their lives.

Unknown said...

My grandkids have the best moms on earth. You have no idea the peace I have in knowing that they are being taught righteous principles so they can make it thru all their "Fiery Trials" in life. I love Claralynne also! She expressed many times while doing her hair, her great love for you and Keeara. (sp?) Why wouldn't she have the assignment of being your guardian angel?! bb