Monday, October 20, 2008

Kids, Quit eating so many vegetables--you'll spoil your dinner!







"Did I actually just say that?" I thought, after the words came out of my mouth. What the heck, kids, spoil you're dinner rotten, you can't have too many veggies--and they did.

Let me back up a little. We were making pizza for dinner, and I let the kids each make their own little one. They both rolled their dough out into heart shapes (Marissa's idea, of course) while I chopped the veggies. We spread on the sauce then I let them free on the veggies--mushrooms, green peppers, and onions, while I get the pineapple, pepperoni, canadian bacon, and mozzarella cheese ready. They get a few on their pizzas then eat the rest. I personally don't care for RAW onions or green peppers ALONE. But, like I said, I decided that I didn't care if they ate too many veggies that they weren't hungry for dinner. So, they did snitch and have a couple pieces of meat, a few chunks of pineapple and a handful of cheese. Then they ran to play, and when it was dinner, they weren't hungry for their own cute little heart pizzas. "We'll eat them for lunch tomorrow, mom." Okay...fine with me!!

A few days later, my parents had a big dinner and gave us 1/2 of a huge costco veggie tray that was left over. I got it out for the kids while I tried to figure out what to make for lunch the next day. They gorged themselves on tomatoes, pea pods, broccoli, and carrots, then didn't want anything else. "You need to eat something else with the veggies or you'll be hungry in an hour",I tell them. The only thing they can think of that sounds good, since they're too full, is cold cereal. So, I pull out the frosted mini wheats and milk. (Yeah, quite the combo, huh?) Probably one of the easiest and healthiest meals I've made. Again...Okay...fine with me!!!

These are their only restrictions:
Marissa prefers to eat zucchini and carrots raw, and onions cooked.
Chandler doesn't care for baked or mashed potatoes unless smothered with enough of something that he can't tell it's a potato. He loves them fried or as french fries.
Probably their favorite is tomatoes though (okay, it's technically a fruit, but still...) Ty's mom has sent them home with a goodie bag full of cherry tomatoes for behaving well at her house--what a treat! We got in the car and they had them gone before we had gone a mile.

1 comments:

Elise said...

I have used that line too. Our down fall is cucumbers though. "No more cucumbers until you eat some of your dinner." It seems wierd when you say it.