Monday, October 20, 2008

My $5 Treasure




I don't know if you've ever been to a store called "Rodworks" in Utah, but I love it. It's a home decor store. Some of their stuff is decently priced. I got a huge clock for $37 (they are over $100 at target) and a huge tin star for $13. When I saw a display of a huge, empty frame with a shelf and pictures in the middle, I loved it. The only problem is that they wanted like $150 for the frame. Cute idea, but not $150 cute. So, I've been trying to figure out how to make one, or where to find a less-expensive version. My uncle runs a weekly flea market thing, and one day I just stopped by to say hi. I was browsing around when I came across this huge, old window--like 4x6 feet. My brain started ticking--what if i broke the glass out of it and just used the frame? It was perfectly weathered looking to boot. So I find my uncle--How much do you want for the window? He's like, I almost took that piece of junk to the dump; I couldn't think of anything anyone would want it for except the glass. How about $5? Me--$5 sounds perfect, but can you break the glass out of it for me? Him--Well, how about I take the glass out in one piece and sell it to someone else. Me--Fine with me! Him--what in the world do you want this for, anyway?? I try to explain, but I just ended up taking pictures of it and showing him the following week. Then he asks, How much was the frame at the store? I tell him, and his eyes bulge. And I sold this to you for $5?? Me--Yeah, so if you get in any more old windows, give me a call. I bet I could sell them for at least ten times that. I definitely got a diamond in the rough.

0 comments: