Monday, September 22, 2008

Peach Glace Pie










Ever since we've had boxes of peaches around for canning, Chandler has persistantly been asking, "Can we make peach pie?" Honestly, I've never made a peach pie, but I have to admit, the idea sounded tantalizingly delicious. So I used fresh, sliced peaches instead of berries in my Berry Glace Pie recipe. The results were NOT dissappointing. It was fabulous.

The kids absolutely loved the project. I let them each make their own little one, and they thought that was awesome. They took a long time getting their crust just right, arranging the peaches in an even layer, and making sure the glaze covered each slice. Of course, while we were peeling and slicing the peaches, I think they ate half of them before they made it to the bowl. We also found an earwig in one of the pits, and we all screamed. The kids were both fascinated with the bug, and terrified with every pit after that. They'd never seen one before.

I turned on the oven light while the crusts were baking, and they sat and impatiently watched the whole time. They about died during dinner while the crust cooled. But they knew the wait was worth it after the first bite of fresh pie with vanilla ice cream on it.

In fact, I couldn't agree more--so the next night for dinner, while Ty was in Salt Lake at a dental convention, (don't tell him) we ate it for dinner. The funny thing was that the next day, we had another interesting dinner. We were making peach jam at my mom's house. My mom likes to make fresh bread to eat with the fresh jam. Well, my dad was also out of town, and we decided to make cinnamon rolls out of part of the bread dough. We had good intentions to make dinner, but we were so tired after making jam, canning peaches, bread, and cinnamon rolls, (and it was so delicious, we didn't really want to eat anything else) so we just had bread with jam and cinnamon rolls for dinner (don't tell dad).

The peaches have been fabulous though--we've also enjoyed peach crepes, peach milkshakes, and peach shortcake. YUM.

The funny thing that day was also that we realized we were all coincidentally wearing green, so Marissa called us "The Green Team" the whole day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How lucky I feel to have a "daughter" that allows her children to experience things...hands on!

Nothing wrong with a girls night ...sounds fun. bb

Jenni said...

That pie looks so delicious. I would love to learn how to make it. I think it is so cool how you involved the kids. And good job with all the canning. Your so ambitious.

Elise said...

I get a little lazy with dinner when Nate's away too. I guess that is the ONE good thing about them being gone.