Sunday, July 20, 2008

We had an interesting Sunday.


So Ty comes to me while I'm doing my hair right before church and in a flat but slightly exasperated voice says,"Chandler's filling on his front tooth just came out" Yeah right honey, I know your trying to rile me up while I'm rushing to get ready. "No, serious, I was flossing his teeth and it came out." Now Marissa joins the conversation: "Is floss supposed to take your fillings out?" No, I reply, then I turn to Ty-- So, he has a piece missing on his front tooth? "Yeah, a big piece" SO I go stomping down the stairs--first, because if he's joking, I'm building up an explosion towards him. Second--I'm not even going to get started at how UTTERLY UNIMPRESSED (to put it VERY nicely) I've been with the dentist that treated Chandler. ANd no--it was definitely NOT Ty or any of you--The dental school wouldn't take our insurance, so we picked a name out of the phone book and got the raw end of the deal. "Smile Chandler." Good grief--are you kidding me?? Talk about a chunk missing--what a good impression we're going to make in our new ward. Ya-this is the dentist's son--wanna get your teeth worked on by him??? So, honey, you can fix this before we go, right? This is your profession--surely you have composite and a curing light on hand? "Uh, no, not here" Well?? "There's nothing I can do." All righty then, now that we're all so happy, let's go to church.
Then....Ty got a new calling today as the Assistant Executive Secretary to the stake president. Gulp! We're convinced it's some kind of revenge--Our new stake president was our seminary teacher growing up--that explains it!! But on a serious note, we're excited for this opportunity, and Pres. Sagers bore testimony to us that he knew this calling was for Ty before he even knew we were moving here. It is pretty humbling. So we came after church to have him get set apart, and President Sagers turns to Marissa and with his dry humor says, "Now, we're going to take your dad away but don't cry about it" (You might have to know him, because he is such an amazing man, and he wasn't trying to upset her) so what did she do? She started sobbing--on and on. We tried talking to her, but she just buried her tear stained face deeper on my chest. Later, away from everybody, she said, I thought they were taking him away right then, and that I wouldn't get to see him again, and I love him--I don't want him to go away. She is such a sweet, innocent, tender hearted girl, who FIERCELY loves her daddy. We got it all straightened out, and I guess all's well that ends well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! I am glad for you and I am glad Kyla knows who Tylers boss is. gma

The Staker Family said...

Kyla, I found your blog off of Meesa's, fun. How are you guys? How is life after dental school?

Katie said...

So that's what happens when you floss your kids' teeth!? I loved reading this- Eric and Brigham had dentist appointments today, and all was well- we really love our Dr. Of course we would use Ty if you lived here- snaggle-thoothed kid and all:).

Adams said...

I would have loved to have seen a picture of Chandler with the tooth! And I love Daddy Daughter relationships....I'm a Daddy's girl myself!